Welcome Message

Thanks for stopping in! Please leave comments or links to your work in the box below the post.

Monday 13 February 2012

Sum of its Parts

Oak Queen (Detail)  K Howell 2012 Acrylic on Board 61cm x 92cm
     In any creative endeavour, we're looking for synergy, aren't we? We want to make something that proclaims itself Complete and more than the materials, time, energy, inspiration and technique that go into the making. Greater than the sum of its parts, as the saying goes.
     Well, I'm posting a detail of a finished painting. For a few reasons. It's large and will probably look ridiculous reduced to a thumbnail. Looking at something as a reduced, flat image, rather than 'life size' in a large space can be dispiriting. I don't want to see this piece reduced right now. I enjoyed the process, and need to take the real thing by surprise a few times to see what's there. 
     So, there it is. I hope the part is indicative of the whole, and I hope one day to see the whole and make an assessment of its state of completion in view of the sum of its parts.

4 comments:

  1. i hope to one day to see the whole too-this 'part' is so intriguing-especially like the grainy overlay-is that acrylic as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jan, I'm glad it appeals. Seem to be going through a phase of glazing, mad brushwork,then imprecise dragging. Yes, it's all acrylic. I hope your exhibition is going well - were I on the other side of the pond, I'd make my way there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean. i have some larger drawings and paintings and i can't get them right on photo. This detail is intruiging, makes me long for seeing the whole. I love the light spots, like golden sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking pictures of artwork is so necessary, but so Removed. I'm glad the detail works for you, ML.

    ReplyDelete