Welcome Message

Thanks for stopping in! Please leave comments or links to your work in the box below the post.

Monday 24 October 2011

Exposed

Exposed K Howell 2011 Pastel on Paper 14 cm x 21 cm
     I was looking for a still hour. Maybe two. No radio, no internet, no bloody words. Stone seemed a likely option...
     A kindly passerby asks me what I'm painting. I point at the exposed gritstone and he scrutinises it for awhile and then says, "What, just the rock?"
     That is what I'm facing, there is nothing else here. I nod.
     "Do you really see those colours?" he asks me.
     Now this is where I feel a little exposed. What shall I say?  No, I'm just using up superfluous pastels, really. But he seems genuinely perplexed when I say, "That Is How I See It."
     "Looks like brown rock to me," he says. "But have a nice day."
     If only we could all own such tolerance...

2 comments:

  1. I really like this-the divisions, edges-and yes, colours-and how they are with each other-but am especially taken with the grainy bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan. Glad it appeals. Gritstone can be quite involving. Well, I'm easily entertained...

    ReplyDelete